The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige, said on Monday that the Federal Government had received 800,000 applications so far on the N-power application portal. The government promised the youths 500,000 jobs through the N-power program.
Dr Chris Nwabueze Ngige Speaking at the 5th Town Hall Meeting organised by the Federal Ministry of Information in Enugu on Monday said that the jobs were mainly for teaching and skills acquisition as promised by the APC government. He said that the administration had a good agenda for the unemployed youths irrespective of the current challenges facing it.
The minister said that 100,000 out of the 500,000 to be employed would be trained as agricultural extension workers and deployed to rural areas to assist the farmers with improved method of farming through the partnership of the ministry of agriculture. “I want our graduates to register so that they will not say that they are marginalised when people that registered are selected,” he said.
Ngige regretted that youths neglected skills acquisition to chase white collar jobs that were not in existence, adding that most skilled jobs were being done by Ghanaians and people from other neighboring countries. “If our youths had acquired skills, they would be self employed and reliant and shun Boko Haram, IPOB and Avengers,” the minister said.
Due to the increasing number of youths who are showing interest in the N-power program, the Federal government extended the registration deadline. The N-power Program registration will now end officially on August 31, 2016.