The Objective of the scheme is to provide opportunity for qualifying students from these Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
In the six years of this programme, 60 students have won the opportunity to study at top rotted universities in the UK on an all-expense paid scholarship.
For the academic year commencing September, 2017, SPDC in partnership with three universities in the UK-Imperial College London, University College, London and the University of Leeds will award ten scholarships for one year post-graduate M.Sc. studies.
The Following Courses qualify for award of scholarships at the three institution.
- Imperial College LondonMSC Petroleum Engineering
MSC Petroleum Geoscience
- University College LondonMSC Chemical/Process Engineering
MSC Mechanical Engineering (Rotating Equipment or Metallurgy)
MSC Civil Engineering (Geotechnics)
- University of LeedsMSC Exploration Geophysics
MSC Electronic/Electrical Engineering
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must
- Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potentials
- Meet the individual universities’ English Language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2017 admission). Please note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities. Candidates are advised that failure to meet each university’s English Language requirement at the time of selection may invalidate their application.
- Be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2017
- Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states (documentary proof of this will be required and will be verified)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return to Nigeria on completion of the proposed programme of study
- Have obtained a university degree (at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours degree)
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a Nigerian international passport valid to end December 2018
- Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria
- Submit application for admission to the any of the prospective universities for any of the qualifying courses
- Application forms will be available ONLY through the participating universities, following admission;
- Nominated applicants will attend an interview before being considered for final selection;
- Visit the following university application page for more details on how to apply for admission.
Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities not later than 31st January, 2017.
The Scholarship will cover tuition fees, one economy return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expense only.
MORE INFORMATION ON SPECIFIC COURSE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS CAN BE OBTAINED from the website of the individual universities.
- Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only
- This is a non-committal scholarship. Note that NEITHER SPDC NOR any of its affiliate companies is obligated to offer employment of any sort to any candidate upon graduation neither are successful candidates bonded to SPDC for any period of time on account of the scholarship award.