FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY OWERRI, OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR.
OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THE RECENT DEMONSTRATION ON FUTO CAMPUS.
The Management of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) wishes to make the following statement concerning the violent demonstration and wanton destruction of University property which occurred on Friday, February 17, 2017.
1) The University, like all Federal Universities in the country, does not charge tuition fees for undergraduate students. Only fees for municipal and other services are charged.
2) There was no increase in the service fees payable, except for seven thousand naira (N7,000.00) only upwards adjustment in the ICT fee for ongoing upgrade, which was done after mutual understanding between the University Management and the Students Union Government (SUG).
3) There is no approved fee for course registration and any staff found involved in collection of money for course registration will be liable for collection of illegal fees and will face appropriate disciplinary measures.
4) There is general apathy among Students of the University to paying fees for services. Less than twenty percent (20%) of returning (old) Students have paid their service fees twelve (12) weeks into the 2016/2017 Harmattan Semester.
5) There is very strong indication that the demonstration was planned and executed from outside the mainstream of the Students' body and without the perpetrators employing various legitimate avenues of drawing attention of the University authority to any perceived grievance.
6) To prevent further breach of peace and breakdown of law and order, the University Senate has directed that the Students should vacate the campus and proceed on a one week break.
J. U Nnabuihe
Comr. Rotr. Uzoho Chuka