Academic performance is one of the main interests of a student at any university. Low grades are not always an indicator of the absence of knowledge in a certain direction, but their regularity and quantity can cause expulsion from an educational institution. Therefore, to continue studying in it and gaining a profession, you should work hard.
Reasons for Low Student Performance
Before familiarizing yourself with ways to increase your level of knowledge, we suggest finding out the reasons that prevent you from maintaining academic performance at the proper level. The main ones are the following:
- Personal life. Student years is a period in life, filled with new acquaintances, hobbies, love, etc. At this age, young people begin to meet actively, spend time together, walk around the city, go on dates. Sometimes such events contribute to improving academic performance, as a guy or girl wants to seem better and at the same time begins to study hard. But spending time together takes time, and there is less space for study.
- Dormitory accommodation. A large group of students gathered in one place rarely spends time without any fun. Partying until the morning can be organized even for the smallest reason. Today, someone passed the test, tomorrow another got the driver’s license, and the whole semester is generally considered to be a global holiday.
- Unloved teacher. It often happens that the student’s and teacher’s behavior patterns are fundamentally different from each other. As a result, different conflicts arise. In such cases, most students skip classes with such a teacher. And the teacher, as a result, gives low grades. When I was a student, I often asked to write essay for me if I did not understand the material from a bad teacher.
Circumstances that supposedly hinder learning will always exist. Therefore, it is important for a student to decide if the main thing at this stage of his life is regular fun or achievement and mastering of new knowledge. Plunging into your studies is not a bright prospect at all. Therefore, it is important to set priorities correctly in order to keep your progress at the appropriate level, learn new knowledge and find time to communicate with friends.
Performance Improvement Methods
You can do this yourself or by involving different people.
Ask Your Advisor
Your advisor is able to help you understand the things which you don’t understand. He will provide you all the necessary materials to make your performance better. Also, he can help you by asking other teachers for extra credit assignments.
If you skip classes, then it only exacerbates performance problems. The material obtained at the lecture may be more accessible and understandable than the same topics studied independently. Teachers also do not like students who intentionally miss classes.
No matter how boring the lecture is, it is still necessary to listen carefully to the material presented. For better memorization, it is important to outline the main points. If something is not clear, then there is always the opportunity to ask the teacher during or after the lesson.
Fight the Laziness
In order to have good grades in a university, you need to understand the material, and not just cram it. To do this, you can ask the teacher about additional literature on the necessary topics, or go to the library. Any efforts are not in vain. The teacher, seeing the student’s interest in learning, will be more supportive and will not refuse if he is asked to explain a section again.
For good memorization, the correct construction of the daily regimen is also necessary. Full sleep, regular nutrition, lack of bad habits contribute to the improvement of brain activity. You can also improve the quality of food that you consume. For this, eat more food rich in vitamins that are useful for the brain. For example, these can be nuts or seeds.
Find out Your Teaching Meths
The perception of information is different for each person. It is common for one student to remember better what he heard, and another has a well-developed visual memory. Therefore, for deep assimilation of the material, you can build your own model of learning.
- NSCDC Recruitment Screening Date 2019/2020 | Check Civil Defence Screening Date
- NSCDC Shortlisted Candidates for Screening 2019/2020 PDF | Civil Defence Recruitment
- NDLEA Shortlisted Candidates for Screening 2019/2020 | NDLEA Recruitment
- Check NDLEA Recruitment Aptitude Test Results 2019/2020 | NDLEA Exam Result Checker
- INEC Recruitment Shortlisted Candidates 2020/2021 | Download List In PDF Here
- cdfipb.careers – Update NSCDC Profile & Print Slip 2020 | Civil Defence Recruitment
- JAMB UTME Results 2020: Check Results on JAMB Portal | jamb.org.ng
Get more stuff
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.