Military Car Insurance – If you’re a member of the US armed forces or reserves, many retailers and insurance providers are willing to reward you for your service with discounts for you and your family — for life.
It’s no surprise that those savings extend to special rates on car insurance for active service members and veterans. Read on to learn whether you can get a greater value on your auto coverage through government and military affiliations.
- For military members & family
- Convenient service through the mobile app
- Coverage around the world
Our top pick: USAA
USAA offers affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service to millions of military members and their families. Only available to military members, veterans and affiliated military members.
- Save when you bundle your home and car insurance
- Driver & vehicle discounts
- 24/7 claims service through USAA’s free mobile app
- Membership savings
- Get dividends from company profits
- Flexible premium payments
Car insurance discounts for military members
Most standard providers offer a discount for drivers who serve in the military, meaning you can compare offerings from both military-specific providers and multi-line providers. To find an option that fits your priorities and needs, shop around and compare your options for the best value you’re eligible for.
- Active military discount
- Veteran discount
- Deployment discount
Best car insurance providers for people in the military
Two of the more popular auto insurance providers open to members of the military are USAA and Armed Forces Insurance.
USAA advertises that while you’re deployed, you’ll get multiple discounts that could eliminate up to 90% of your normal auto insurance cost if your vehicle is parked somewhere safe, especially on a military base.
Armed Forces Insurance (AFI)
AFI partners with Progressive to underwrite policies specifically for service member in 48 states. A smaller insurer, AFI may not offer as many discounts as USAA. But if you’re looking to bundle your car insurance with home, rental or other coverage, it might be an option worth exploring.
Other car insurance providers with military discounts
A few big-name insurers stand out for the discounts they extend to members of the military.
- Geico. Active duty, retired and military members are eligible for premium discounts of up to 15%. And if you’re part of an emergency deployment, you could be eligible for a deployment discount of about 25% off comprehensive coverage.
- Esurance. Deployed troops can take advantage of flexibility in suspending, canceling and reinstating auto insurance. While it ranks highly among military veteran and their families, Esurance too falls short of USAA’s range of discounts for active military members.
Compare car insurance providers
How do I choose the right provider for me?
To find the right provider for you and your family’s needs, consider how much you drive and whether you need full coverage or your state’s minimum. Note that providers often apply higher premiums if you’re younger than 25, older than 65 or new to car insurance.
Before heading straight to USAA or AFI, consider these factors that can affect your rates:
- Loyalty programs. It’s possible that your current provider offers lower deductibles or cheaper rates the longer you keep your policy, which could outweigh the benefits of switching to a new provider.
- Multipolicy discounts. If you bundle your property and auto insurance through a provider like Esurance or Geico, you might find more affordable premiums across your coverage needs.
While USAA’s strong commitment to members of the military make it a strong choice among competitors, consider shopping around before deciding on a provider. Your state of residence, service status, age and other factors could unlock solid coverage through a standard provider like Geico or Esurance.
Get more stuff
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.